Skip to main content

Things That Make Me Go "Hmmm"











#3 at age 8

A "Little" Girl Named "Pink Stink"

Written by Just Add Kids, Founder

Paula Herrmann



 

Daughter #3 brushed past me this morning in the kitchen. Yah, so? We were able to look at each other eye to eye, meaning our eyes were level with each other. Rrrgh...another one growing up.

 

I don't like it one bit. Another daughter on the cusp of teenhood. Please stop now!

 

Am I being selfish, or do you feel like this as you watch your kids grow right in front of your eyes? Read more...

It's funny, it seemed as though she stayed a little girl for so long and I kinda expected her to stay that way like FOREVER. There is a 5 year gap in between her and her next older sister (#2) and 7 years in between her and #1, my oldest.  As 1 & 2 transitioned into teens and now into young adults, Pink Stink, which is one of the names we dubbed #3 at birth, seemed to get stuck. She's always been on the petite side. When the older two would cause me distress, there would be my "littles" (#3 and #4, her brother who is 2 years her junior) to remind me that as a mom, I was still loved, adored, and needed.

Even funnier (well, maybe) is the fact that she's had more boyfriends than #1 & 2 combined. Yup, I said boyfriends, starting with a little boy in her kindergarten class named Kenny, who we caught with our Pink Stink kissing under a table at Culver's. Yikes! Then there was the long lasting 3 year relationship from third through fifth grade when she moved to a new school. Their relationship consisted of sitting together on the bus daily, small gifts, hanging out at recess and texting (EBR or Eye Ball Roll). Thank goodness middle school split them apart. Last year in 6th grade it was two boys, kinda rapid fire at the end of the school year. All I have to say is, thank goodness for summer break. This momma ain't ready for it. Stay little, for goodness sakes, P.S.!

Later in the day, today,  I posted a cover picture to the Just Add Kids Facebook Group "JAK Dads" page. I needed to find a picture of a daddy and his kid(s). I scrolled through several of mine to run across this gem...one of my favs. It's my husband, Hottie Boy (LOL) and his little girl. Yup, it's Pink Stink. It was just a sweet, tender moment of a dad and his daughter sharing nachos at Six Flags. Dang, that was only two years ago. Why can't she stay little? Boo! :-/

Eric and Christi cover photo for JAK Dads

As she walks around the house today, whether, that be eye to eye with me, you can't help but notice she's also transitioned into Missy Long Legs. They just don't stop! She is ALL LEGS! I thought with the first decade plus of her life being so petite, she'd stay that way like her momma. The other two have surpassed me in height years ago. I think this one is well on her way, too.

In a matter of a few weeks she'll be entering the 7th grade. I cannot even believe I am typing that. Oh where, oh where did the time go? Going through this with #1 and #2 was much more of a breeze, I always had the youngies. Now my youngies in that transition. Now what do I have to hold on to? Ever wish that you could just stop time? Perhaps, I'm just being selfish.

Hmmm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AWESOME Dad

Well, most are! I know your kid's daddy might not be tops in your book, yet, in the eyes of your child, he probably is. I am so grateful that when my husband and I mutually took the risk to vow to spend our lives together, then had/have children, (while not always perfect) he ended up being quite the awesome dad. Assist your child in sharing his/her celebration of dad. (Um, I am sure you know, Father's Day is next Sunday, June 17th).  Here's a great way to do that, pocket $100 gift card for your kiddo, and knock out that Father's Day gift!  Here's how... Read More... For the third year in a row, Just Add Kids has partnered with Educators Credit Union  to bring you, your kids and their daddy a fun contest in celebration of Father’s Day.  This year, RelyLocal Racine is also partnering with JAK and providing a plethora of gift cards perfect for dad. So, how to participate? Kids color a portrait of their dad, grandaddy, or other fatherly figure (portrait frame and e

June is the New Spring

April Wrap Up: Wrapped in Love                           In recognition of April being Autism Awareness month, Just Add Kids welcomes Colleen Nagle, a Burlington mom, as JAK's guest blogger. Autism is easy to misunderstand, misinterpret and mislead.  My son is the master of disguise and the best way to understand our kids is to assume nothing.  That is, assume only that they are kids, children, teens, silly, loving, intelligent and, well, simply put, no different than any other kid. Everything I have been told about Autism is wrong. Everything I know about Autism I have learned from my son.  My son with Autism.  He loves me just like his typical siblings love me, he cries when he misses me and he smiles when we are together again. Read more... He cannot speak.  He has never been able to express his favorite color or cartoon or game.  My heart longs to know him, to know the little everyday things: to know that he has favorites; to know that he likes the food I serve him; to know if

Wishful Thinking

Putting Thoughts Into (60 Second) Action                Just Add Kids welcomes Mollie Bartelt, a Caledonia mom, as JAK's guest blogger Do you want to make a difference in your life this summer? Or make a difference for a child who has a life threatening illness? Or win $1000 in a fun challenge? Game on! My story began six months ago, when my happy, healthy nine year old daughter came in from outside playing in the snow feeling dizzy. We became alarmed when she couldn’t stand up after resting a bit...her legs were wobbly and criss-crossing and she appeared to have no balance. A few short hours later in the emergency room, the situation looked worse as she was starting to slur her speech and not even be able to get words out correctly... and she couldn’t get her hands to work to put a snack in her mouth. Read more... The hospital ER staff then sent us up to Children’s Hospital where Hannah stayed for nearly a week, undergoing tests and having therapy. While all the tests were negativ