Skip to main content

"When it Reigns. It Poors."










Just Add Kids Expo 2010

The Unsung Heros of EXPO!


by Just Add Kids Founder,


Paula Herrmann


Not wanting to bore you with the history of the birth and growth of Just Add Kids, but wanting to give you a little background and how we got to where we are today, the eve of the eve (at least that's what my calendar reads as I type) of the 5th annual, of what is poised to be the biggest Just Add Kids EXPO! yet on Saturday, April 5th. I say I can "sense" it. We shall see!



Our first humble expo took place when Just Add Kids was only 3 months old. We were kindly offered half of the showroom at Burlington RV and Superstore, you know, that BIG camper store right off of I-94 and Highway 20 in Sturtevant. Myself, my then 14 year old daughter, 15 year old niece, my niece's then boyfriend, an almost 20 year old son of my cousin-in-law, my husband, neighbor Bob, and 2 of my girlfriends. I was honored to have 25 exhibitors and about 300 guests. All went pretty well, until some kid pulled the fire alarm. Read more...The place cleared out as it was the first fire alarm experienced in the building (ever!) and we couldn't turn it off. Wrapped it up an hour and a half earlier than the scheduled 4pm show close. It was great having all of the first responders show up. Added to our show count. Heros!


Expo 2010 Educators Credit Union picture JAK Expo 2010 2 Expo 2010 Colleen and PamJAK Expo 2010 winnabago


In 2011, our expo took on a little different approach with a unique partnership with the Sturtevant SportsPlex, which also played host to the event. Because of the goal to dually brand both properties, it was called the Active Kids Expo. The event took advantage of families attending their winter session soccer games and we logged in about 500 attendees. Again, I tapped into what was now dubbed my expo bffs, husband, and a few more friends. Second time around, pretty much a snap! We added a tennis shoe drive and collected donations for the kids at Mitchell Elementary School, an initiative of my friend, Carol, who was the gym teacher at the school at that time. Coincidentally, we're doing another drive for Mitchell. This time collecting for the middle school's AfterZone program that lost everything in the recent school fire. So thankful for the 35 exhibitors, my volunteer force, those that came specifically for the event and those that were lured in enroute to/from the indoor soccer fieldhouse by some characters from another galaxy. The force was with me!


Game On logo button active kids expo pic r2d2


active kids expo 2011 pic 3 fixed ake logo 01.06.11


The third year of the Just Add Kids EXPO! 2012 brought us together, working in partnership with Racine Unified School District and moving to our third home host of the event....the ginormous Case High School field house. We filled it though! We added a Main Stage, balloon twister, and a set of bounce houses. One for the whee ones, and another for toddlers and up. The highlight of that day, came even before the show opened, as we continued to have electricity blackouts on the west wall where about 7 vendors plugged in for power. Yah, that was the wall those two bounce houses plugged into. So not only would the hum of laptops and other small electrics cease to hum, the bounce houses quickly caved as the air was no longer blowing in. An angel, I kid you not, named Ron came to my rescue after each of the 4 or 5 black out episodes.  About 50 exhibitors participated and the event drew an amazing 2,000 attendees. We saw the return of neighbor Bob, and a little different group of expo bffs. That year, for sure, RUSD was my hero (along with Ron)! That was the year we added some paid sponsors. That extra financial support saved the day!


     Photos Just Add Kids EXPO 2012 Color Mom Beautiful coloring contest area Just Add Kids EXPO 2012 Racine Art Museum RAM on the Road Expo pic 2012 Patch sponsor


 I look back at last year, the Just Add Kids EXPO! 2013 and finally being able to repeat an event in the same locale, it was pretty much a repeat from the year before, with the addition of the Fun Hub which played host to our facepainter, balloon twister and Kohl's Wild Theater; a few different vendors, and no episodes of deflating bounce houses. Hallelujah! We estimate about the same number of guests as the year prior, and a handful more exhibitors. Thankfully and unfortunately, my husband had been disabled from 3 bulging discs in his back and offered some time to help me out and prepare for the event as he was unable to work his job. Honestly, I couldn't of done it without him and again, the team of expo bffs,, one of which had been there for 4 years straight. You all were my heroes. Super!

cheerleaders at EXPO 2013 pic Fun Hub Kohls Wild Kingdom at EXPO 2013 Liam and Half-Twisted Half Knot at Just Add Kids EXPO! 2013

That brings us to 2014. What's in store? What you got in 2013 and SO MUCH MORE! Honestly, I am so vey excited about this year's Just Add Kids EXPO! And you should be, too! To find out what's going on, please check out our EXPO! page on our website and read the blog below. I'll be coming back next week, post EXPO! and will report on 2014 heroes and so much more as I do a recap in this same space, as this piece of "journalism" (wink) will be needing an update on Thursday. Here, oh, goes!

C U @ EXPO! Where "FUN" is "KING"!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AWESOME Dad

Well, most are! I know your kid's daddy might not be tops in your book, yet, in the eyes of your child, he probably is. I am so grateful that when my husband and I mutually took the risk to vow to spend our lives together, then had/have children, (while not always perfect) he ended up being quite the awesome dad. Assist your child in sharing his/her celebration of dad. (Um, I am sure you know, Father's Day is next Sunday, June 17th).  Here's a great way to do that, pocket $100 gift card for your kiddo, and knock out that Father's Day gift!  Here's how... Read More... For the third year in a row, Just Add Kids has partnered with Educators Credit Union  to bring you, your kids and their daddy a fun contest in celebration of Father’s Day.  This year, RelyLocal Racine is also partnering with JAK and providing a plethora of gift cards perfect for dad. So, how to participate? Kids color a portrait of their dad, grandaddy, or other fatherly figure (portrait frame and e

June is the New Spring

April Wrap Up: Wrapped in Love                           In recognition of April being Autism Awareness month, Just Add Kids welcomes Colleen Nagle, a Burlington mom, as JAK's guest blogger. Autism is easy to misunderstand, misinterpret and mislead.  My son is the master of disguise and the best way to understand our kids is to assume nothing.  That is, assume only that they are kids, children, teens, silly, loving, intelligent and, well, simply put, no different than any other kid. Everything I have been told about Autism is wrong. Everything I know about Autism I have learned from my son.  My son with Autism.  He loves me just like his typical siblings love me, he cries when he misses me and he smiles when we are together again. Read more... He cannot speak.  He has never been able to express his favorite color or cartoon or game.  My heart longs to know him, to know the little everyday things: to know that he has favorites; to know that he likes the food I serve him; to know if

Wishful Thinking

Putting Thoughts Into (60 Second) Action                Just Add Kids welcomes Mollie Bartelt, a Caledonia mom, as JAK's guest blogger Do you want to make a difference in your life this summer? Or make a difference for a child who has a life threatening illness? Or win $1000 in a fun challenge? Game on! My story began six months ago, when my happy, healthy nine year old daughter came in from outside playing in the snow feeling dizzy. We became alarmed when she couldn’t stand up after resting a bit...her legs were wobbly and criss-crossing and she appeared to have no balance. A few short hours later in the emergency room, the situation looked worse as she was starting to slur her speech and not even be able to get words out correctly... and she couldn’t get her hands to work to put a snack in her mouth. Read more... The hospital ER staff then sent us up to Children’s Hospital where Hannah stayed for nearly a week, undergoing tests and having therapy. While all the tests were negativ